Saturday, December 8, 2012

I Ate An Omelet

Some of you might wonder why I would do an entire blog post about eating an omelet.  Those who know me well will know it's because I don't like eggs!  I haven't liked them my entire life.  I won't eat them scrambled or fried or hard boiled.  I do not like them at all!

Earlier this year, however, I had a bit of an epiphany while doing the Biggest Loser Challenge with ladies from my gym.  There was one week when we had to eat our body weight in grams of protein each day without going over 1400 calories.  That was hard to do.  One day during that week I decided to give scrambled egg whites a try (most of the calories for an egg are in the yolk).  I decided if I added a bunch of cheese that I might be able to gag it down.  Well, I ate it, and honestly it wasn't that bad.  I decided that maybe it wasn't eggs I didn't like, but egg yolks that I didn't like.  I didn't want to push that idea (the thought of eating eggs makes me want to gag) but I finally decided to test that theory out this weekend.

I had seen a post on facebook where someone made an egg white omelet.  I decided to give it a try.  And since this was my first time ever making an omelet, I decided to document it!  First, I sauteed 1/4 green bell pepper (chopped), 5 slices of mushroom (broken in pieces), and a large handful of spinach in coconut oil (I decided after doing the Dr. Oz cleanse that coconut oil would be a good substitute for olive oil or butter).


While those were sauteing, I separated three eggs (thanks mom and dad for the "chicken eggs"!) using my handy dandy egg separator and poured the egg whites into a small pan.

When the eggs were cooked through, I added the sauteed vegetables to one half, folded egg over the top, and then plated and topped with salsa.  And I really liked it.
So, after 32 years of thinking I hated eggs, I am changing my mind.  And I'm excited to introduce egg whites into my diet because they are a healthy option for breakfast.  I still don't plan on ever eating the whites around a fried egg, or the white of a hard boiled egg (hard boiled eggs stink!), but for now, I won't be scared of egg white omelets or scrambled egg whites.  Yea me for trying this!

2 comments:

  1. Hooray for you! The only egg-ish thing I don't like is eggnog (does it even have egg in it these days?). I want to like it because everyone is always talking about how delicious it is, but every two years or so I try it again and still hate it. :) I'm very impressed that you made, and enjoyed, your omelet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I won't be trying eggnog any time soon. I didn't like it last time I tried it, and I don't need the extra calories anyway!

      Delete