Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Dr. Oz 3-Day Detox Cleanse: Day 1

I don't know how I got talked into this, but I (along with some of the people I work out with at the gym) am doing the Dr. Oz 3-Day Detox Cleanse.  Supposedly someone with 20 pounds to lose can lose 6 pounds in the three days of this cleanse.

I decided I could do anything for three days... but I wasn't so sure once I laid out all the food on my counter!

Over the course of three days, I would be eating:

  • 3 cups of pineapple
  • 6 cups of kale
  • 3 cucumbers
  • 3/4 of an avocado
  • 1 1/2 green apples
  • 1 1/2 limes
  • 3 cups blueberries
  • 1 1/2 cups mango
  • 6 cups raspberries
  • 4 bottles of coconut water
  • 6 bananas
  • 6 tablespoons almond butter
  • 1 1/2 cups almond milk
  • 3 cups spinach
  • 12 stalks celery
  • 3 tablespoons coconut oil
  • 7 lemons
  • 3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 9 tablespoons flaxseed
  • 3 multi-vitamins
  • 3 omega 3 supplements
  • 3 probiotic supplements

I know, I bet you're jealous wishing that was your menu for three days!

Anyway, I successfully finished Day 1!  I drank all four of my shakes (I will be drinking the breakfast shake for my snack every day since that is the tastiest) and took my vitamins.  And I'm not dead.  Or sick.  And I think I'll even finish the program over the next two days!

I thought, with the cleanse being three days long, that I would highlight one shake each day.  I decided to start with the lunch shake.

The lunch shake consists of 4 celery stalks, 1 cucumber, 1 cup kale, 1/2 green apple, 1/2 lime, 1 T coconut oil (pictured above in the container with the almond milk!), 1/2 cup almond milk, and 1 cup pineapple.  I had everything prepped and brought all the ingredients to work.  I was happy to have been able to borrow my mom's VitaMix - not sure if my blender could have handled all this chopping.  This would have tasted a lot worse if it wasn't smooth.

Here's a picture of the end result:

This puts a whole different spin on green smoothie!  And it made a TON!  It filled two large glasses.  Taste wise, it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be.  It was definitely the worst of the three shakes though.  I had heard that it was pretty awful, and with that much celery, I was mentally prepped to barely gag it down.  It did take me over an hour to drink it all though.  I got full about half way through, so when you're full and drinking something that isn't completely tasty, it got a little harder to down.

8 comments:

  1. You go girl! Why don't you try adding a little stevia to your shakes. It willnot change the detox at all and it is really good for your pancreas. Have you ever heard of "The Master Cleanser"? By Stanley Burroughs. It is an amazing cleanse that you do for 10 days. I did it once and my pancreas, liver amd kidneys were completely clean of anything toxic. But it was 10 days long and quite the regime. You might want to check it out. It is also known as the lemonade cleanse because all you do is drink lemonade made with organic lemons and grade B maple syrup. Good luck with what you are doing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, 10 days of drinking lemonade is hard core, nice job!

      Delete
  2. What a great cleanse. When I read your title i was worried that you were only having grapefruit and hot sauce or something but this menu looks wonderful! Is it all shakes or do you get to chew too? I bet you will be feeling great by day 3.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing to chew :-( Unless you don't quite follow it and eat some of the shake ingredients instead of blending. I've heard your body might not absorbe everything as well that way but I would guess it would still work.

      Delete
  3. I am looking forward to hearing more about this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So . . . do you have to do the detox bath as well to lose the weight?!?!?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will let you know since I'm not taking the baths! I don't do baths :-)

      Delete
  5. Mmmm. Look at all that goodness on your counter!

    ReplyDelete