Wednesday, January 30, 2013

It's the Small Things

Saturday marks our one year wedding anniversary, so I decided to take a minute to reflect on my first year as a mom.  In a nutshell, I love being a mom.  I especially love that I am a mom to Kylee.  I've said this before, but I truly mean it - I couldn't have been luckier.  Kylee is so mild-mannered and so sweet, and is typically only grumpy when she's really tired.  I love her.  And what makes me even happier is that she loves me.

I love the picture at the top of this post.  Let me explain.  We usually like to take off our shoes when we come into the house.  I have a giant "shoe pile" in the laundry room (we walk through the laundry room to get into the main part of the house when we come in through the garage).  Matt usually leaves one or two pair of shoes in the entry way.  Yesterday, when Kylee and I came home for the day, she took off her boots and placed them right next to her dad's church shoes in the entry way.  I don't know why, but I thought this was super sweet.  She sure loves her daddy.

Here are some things about Kylee that I wanted to record.  It's the small things that make me love being a mom.

  • Kylee loves breakfast, especially oatmeal and Cinnamon Toast Crunch.  She is going through a phase right now where she tells us she doesn't like the food before she even tries it.  We, of course, make her try what we've made for dinner, and she almost always loves it after she tries it.  She really likes fish (I think it's easier to eat than other meats) and brussel sprouts and meatballs.
  • Kylee's body parts "talk" to her.  For example: "My brain is telling me that it's not tired." or "My stomach is telling me that it is hungry."  
  • Kylee likes to wear her church clothes all day on Sunday... unlike Matt and I who change the second we walk in the door!
  • Kylee loves to have her back tickled.
  • Kylee loves when we read her bedtime stories.  Right now she's really enjoying the "pigeon books" that her grandma and grandpa gave her for Christmas.
  • Speaking of bedtime, right now Kylee is going through an "I'm scared" phase at bed (after lamp time and hall light time are over).   She has a night light in her room, but she doesn't seem to think that's enough light.  The problem is if I leave the lights in the hall on, it takes her forever to fall asleep.  I know that being afraid of the dark is normal, but I sure hope this phase ends soon!

3 comments:

  1. What a funny girl. I remember last year, during sharing time, the kids were filling out "About me" sheets. Like "what's your favorite color". I couldn't help but laugh when "what's your favorite food" all of the other kids were put pizza and ice cream while Kylee put oatmeal! I had to ask her a few times because I didn't believe her answer. But she insisted on oatmeal. Cutie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You totally lucked out on having a little girl to love. I'm glad you guys have made it a year. so fun! Now, please send some good vibes and a good guy to love me my way. THANKS!!!
    p.s. your house looks super cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that I totally lucked out. I'm definitely sending good vibes your way. The offer is always out there if you want to come to Boise to visit for a change of scenery!

      Delete