Thursday, November 21, 2013

Kylee Turns 5

Last week I asked Kylee how she would feel if her brother was born on her birthday.  She told me she would be sad because she would want to open her presents.  Good thing Tyler was born two days before her birthday!  Almost as soon as I found out that my 24-hour monitoring was being cut short and that I was being moved to labor and delivery to have our baby, my mind turned to Kylee and her presents. I had pulled them all out on Wednesday and had planned on wrapping them, but ended up being kind of lazy that evening, thinking I still had a few days.

I'm thankful for my friend Jen for saving the day!  She offered to go over to my house and wrap Kylee's presents.  She also made cupcakes and she and her husband even put up some birthday streamers at our house.  I was still in the hospital Monday (Kylee's birthday), so we arranged to have all of our family come down to the hospital to celebrate.  Kylee had told me she wanted everyone to "surprise" her... so following her instructions, everyone showed up a little early to a waiting room in labor and delivery.  Matt had Kylee's presents all in a large bag and had told Kylee they needed to drop some stuff off for me.  When they walked into the waiting room, Kylee beamed as we all yelled surprise.  She quickly opened all of her presents and enjoyed a cupcake surrounded by people who love her.  And I don't think she minded at all that the location of her party was at the hospital.

Kylee is just growing up too quickly.  I love how her answer to things this week is, "it's because I'm 5 now." Like when I asked her how she became so good at drawing, she answered "it's because I'm 5 now."  Also this week she learned how to spell her brother's name and is working on sounding out other words.  One sweet thing she did this week was offer to clean the breast pump equipment for me because my hands were getting so dry and cracked.  I told her that I need to wash them in the middle of the night - she responded by saying that I could just leave them dirty until she woke up.  Melted my heart.  I love her so much!

1 comment:

  1. So sweet! Glad she still had a special day. It was such a unique setting, she will probably always remember it!

    ReplyDelete