Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Dear Tyler - [NICU Day 5]

Dear Tyler,

This was my first day really away from you.  It was weird being at home when you were still at the hospital. I thought about you all day and I can't tell you how many times I looked at your picture.  I would just look at it and smile thinking about how precious you are.

Your dad, sister, and I all came to the hospital to visit you today.  Too bad your sister has a little cold... she wants to meet you so badly but she needs to get better first.  She hung out in the waiting room playing with the iPad while your dad and I took turns coming to see you.  We're hoping she's well enough by Sunday so that she can visit.

Today was the first day your dad was able to hold you.  You were all wrapped up in your billiblanket so you didn't really get to see him (when your billiblanket is on you get to wear these cool fabric goggles), but he was the one that tickled your little feet as he rocked you.  I wish I had been able to get a picture of him holding you - I'll be sure to do that soon!  We're hoping you don't need your billiblanket much longer - fingers crossed tomorrow will be the day.

You are eating like a rock star - nice work!  You are fed every three hours, and typically the amount you are fed is increased every 12 hours.  Since you are eating so well (I think the exact words were you "guzzled" your milk), the nurses decided to increase the amount of milk they are giving you every 6 hours!  Today you got up to 20 mL per feeding.  If you keep eating well, you'll get to get that tube out of your tummy.  It might even be out before I come see you tomorrow!

Speaking of milk, I'm going to brag a little bit.  My body seems to be doing much better now that I'm home and I'm getting a little practice with the hospital grade rental pump I have.  I am pumping for 15 minutes every 2-3 hours to try and get you the milk that you need.  The last few days when I would pump, I would spend about 20 painstaking minutes after each pump to try and get even two little drops (if I was lucky!) sucked up in the syringe to pass off to the nurses for you. Since I got home last night, my body has started producing a little more milk.  In my first 18 hours home, I was able to get close to 40 mL for you... and it's only getting better!  I'm hoping tomorrow that I'll be able to skip one of my times pumping and try feeding you directly.  Not sure if/how that will work, but I'm going to ask the nurses!

One final thing for today - you got a roommate named Audrey.  And you want to know what's crazy about that?  We know her family...they go to church with us.  Her mom works in Primary with me and her sister Laura is friends with your sister Kylee.  It's a bummer that Audrey needs to stay in the NICU, but since she does, I think it's pretty lucky that you get to share a room.  I'm hoping that her mom and I can keep each other company as we visit with you every day.

Love,
Mom

1 comment:

  1. So much equipment for such a little baby. I'm so glad there is the medicine and technology to take good care of him. Yay Matt got to hold him and yay for your milk! Sounds like you guys are doing well.

    ReplyDelete