Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Dear Tyler - [NICU Day 4]

Dear Tyler,

Good news!  The procedure they did yesterday went well, and I was able to hold you today after all.  I spent quite a bit of time just holding you this morning.  You seemed so happy and calm as we just rocked. You are sleeping almost all day every day, but you opened your eyes a couple times for me today.  And I swear you even smiled for me a couple times - when I told you I loved you and when I told you daddy was going to come visit.

I can't believe how tiny you are.  I have never seen a baby so small.  You wrapped your little fingers around my pinky finger today.  I just loved feeling your touch.  You have lost about 2% of your body weight since birth, but they tell me you are eating well.  They gave you some milk with a bottle today and you drank it right up!  I think you like drinking through your mouth better than you like getting milk through the tube in your nose :-)  Hopefully that tube can come out soon... I think you'll be happier.

Today I met with a social worker and a family support nurse.  There is such a large group of people who will be taking care of all of us over the next several weeks.  We don't know how long you'll need to stay in the hospital.  We've heard anywhere from 3-4 weeks up to 7 weeks.  Before you can leave, you need to be able to show that you can breathe on your own with no problems, that you can eat on your own and that you can gain weight, and that you can maintain your body temperature on your own.  You also need to pass a car seat test... which I think just means that you can be transported safely in a car seat.  I was released from the hospital today, but I'll be back every day cheering you on as you work on reaching these milestones.

Love,
Mom

4 comments:

  1. For being so small, he is already doing so much! The fact that he is breathing and sucking is wonderful. Congratulations on a precious baby boy! Glad you are here, Tyler! You have tons of people who already love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OHH I just love you guys! It is so fun to see you holding that perfect, adorable, newborn baby boy. Tyler is one lucky boy! I CAN'T WAIT TO MEET HIM!!! ***10 more days!!!***

    ReplyDelete
  3. These posts to baby Tyler are precious. It sounds like he is doing well and its so wonderful to see a picture of you holding him. So tiny!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's great to hear he is doing so good :). My baby is almost 2 weeks and I thought she was small. So sweet, keep your chin up, I'm sure it's not easy, my heart is happy for you and aches all at the same time. I'm just glad he is all ok :). Good luck and Congrats!

    ReplyDelete