Monday, November 25, 2013

Dear Tyler - [NICU Day 10]

Dear Tyler,

You continue to make progress, slowly but surely.  You are up 14 grams from yesterday, which puts you at 1607 grams (3 pounds, 8.7 ounces).  The nurses also tell me that your billirubin levels are good - no more blanket here!  Another positive is that they were able to drop the temperature a little in your incubator since you are doing better on maintaining your own temperature.

Today was kind of a special day for me.  We had our first "skin to skin" time where I got to hold you against my chest and just let you sleep there.  I think I could have stayed like that all day.  You seemed so peaceful and comfortable, and I felt like I was doing my job as your mom.  You also tried breastfeeding for the first time.  I thought you did great! Sure, it wasn't much and wasn't for long, but you tried and you did get a little bit of milk, so that made me happy.  We'll keep trying, hopefully a couple times a day.  They say that it will get easier for you as you get a little fat on your cheeks!

Love,
Mom

3 comments:

  1. He sounds like he's doing so well!!!! Hooray for you, Tyler! I'm glad Ky got to meet him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! I am so happy he was able to nurse and that you got skin to skin time. It is so good for both of you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so happy that things continue to progress! Tyler is so sweet! And isn't that first time nursing strange? Their cute little faces smashed into the boob. I just kept thinking, how is Rosie supposed to nurse AND breathe at the same time. haha.

    ReplyDelete