Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Domestic Berry-Picking Me


As we drove home from Jump Creek on Monday, I saw a sign for The Berry Ranch. I googled to see if there was a website and found that The Berry Ranch has pick your own blackberries right now! Can you believe I've never been berry picking?! I checked my calendar and decided today was the day. With only having Kylee half the week and with school starting in a couple weeks (plus a limited berry picking season), we didn't have very many options. Unfortunately, we woke up to gray skies and rain. We decided to head out anyway, and ran some errands until the rain let up. As soon as there was a break in the rain, we jumped out to go pick berries. Of course, the break was short-lived, and it started raining on us as we picked. We both got soaked, but we still had a great time.

We picked almost 8 pounds of big, beautiful blackberries. Then this afternoon I canned blackberries and made blackberry freezer jam. I am excited to try my canned blackberries in cobbler or in homemade muffins. Tonight Matt made the most delicious blackberry milkshakes I've ever had. And of course we saved some fresh blackberries for eating :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment