Thursday, May 22, 2014

Favorite Things Baby - Newborn to Six Months

I did a lot of research on different baby items before I had Tyler and ended up purchasing some great items and receiving others as gifts. I decided to write about some of my favorite things and why I would recommend them. This post is particularly for my friend Jen - I'm so excited for her to join the ranks of "mommy" later this year!

1. The BOB

I love my BOB stroller. I previously blogged my story about how I bought my BOB, and I can safely say it was worth the effort... and the money! I love the stroller attachment and how I can just plop the entire carseat right in the stroller... this has been perfect when Tyler has still been too little to sit. I also feel like i have four-wheel drive with this stroller and it handles so well. It has met our needs and more, and I'm excited to use it to start jogging. Maybe I'll try that tomorrow :-)


My friend Sally gave me this baby bath sling as a gift (I had registered for it based on a recommendation from my sister Mandi). I love it! I think it is so much better than one of those bulky hard plastic baby baths. This is mesh so it breathes well, it is small and lightweight, it dries quickly, and it folds for easy storage. It has been the perfect bath accessory for us.

3. Bouncer Seat

My mom gave us a bouncer seat for Christmas... and Tyler literally spends hours in it a week. This seat has been my savior, keeping Tyler entertained each time I need to pump. When Tyler was younger, he could just lay on the floor, but now I'm not sure what I would do without it.

My mom gave us this Fisher Price Cradle 'N Swing at my baby shower. This sits in the corner of our dining room and is what allows me to make dinner, work on the computer, clean the kitchen, etc. Tyler usually really likes his swing and will happily swing for 10-30 minutes at a time (or longer if I'm lucky!) before he gets bored. It can swing side to side or back and forth, plays music, has a mirror for the baby to look into, and has a rotating mobile. This swing is what gives me little pockets of productivity during the day.


I purchased this mat for Tyler for Easter and my only regret is not having purchased it sooner. Are you sensing a theme in my list of favorite items? :-) One more thing to entertain Tyler so I can get some stuff done around the house. He loves the mirror and each of the toys. And the fabric on this is great - not only do I love the colors and patterns, but it is super easy to clean if he spits up. 

A few other items to note... 
  • I initially researched and purchased "fancy" (aka expensive Tommy Tippee) bottles. And you know what? I didn't love them. They were fat (harder to hold) and seemed to be leaky. It was probably just operator error, but Tyler didn't seem to care if I used the cheap/free ones I brought home from the hospital or the Tommy Tippees. So I returned my unopened box of Tommy Tippee bottles and bought some cheapo boring bottles instead. They work great.
  • I wish I had more burp cloths. I decided you can't have enough. And we don't like the cute knit burp cloths (like these) because they aren't very absorbent. 
  • Short sleeves don't make sense for winter babies. We got lots of cute newborn and 0-3 month clothes, but I only dressed Tyler in a short-sleeved onesie if I had a jacket or long-sleeved shirt to put over the top of it. I don't know if this was just because he was so small when he was born and we had to be extra careful to maintain his body temperature (including keeping a hat on him for the first couple months), but even now I still find that his arms will get chilly in short-sleeves. Long sleeves were definitely the way to go for his first several months!

No comments:

Post a Comment