Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Mortgage-Free

I moved into my house in March 2004.  I loved this house from the beginning.  The original plans were to be in this house for about 5-7 years, by which time we would need a bigger house to support a growing family.  Well, clearly life doesn't always go as planned.  When my plans took a detour in 2007, I made a goal to pay off the house.  I was originally hoping to have it paid off by the time I was 30, but decided to do a little remodeling and a little traveling, which delayed this goal a little... but not much!  I am just shy of my 32nd birthday.

And I am proud to say that today, after 8 years and 3 months of pouring money into my home, Matt and I did a wire transfer to completely pay off our mortgage.  

We are, for the time being, mortgage-free!  I have to admit, I'm feeling a little lot poor (my savings account is lower than it has been in 10 years), but I am darn proud of this accomplishment.  
In front of the home that we own 100%
I know I've probably blogged about all of these changes over the years, but let me take you on a little journey of the last 8 years of my humble abode.

I updated the floors
Took out the ugly linoleum
And took out all the carpet
And replaced with all new carpet and beautiful walnut hardwood floors.
Completely gutted and remodeled both bathrooms
Guest bathroom before
And after... new tile surround, floor, new vanity, mirror... everything!
Took down the nasty floral wallpaper border in the office and painted the walls a pretty green color


Can't forget the kitchen remodel, which included new granite countertops, an under-mount sink, new appliances, and new hardware on the cabinets.
Old kitchen... with the pergo flooring I updated shortly after moving in (pre-hardwood), laminate countertops, and old/mis-matched appliances
New and pretty :-)
And of course there was the replacing of all the doorknobs throughout the house, updating the landscaping, upgrading from a box florescent light to recessed lighting in the kitchen and upgrading several of my other light fixtures throughout the house, etc.

Yes, I love this house... but with a family of three, we could definitely use some more space.  So next on the list is to save up for a down payment on a new (larger) home.  I look forward to this next step and purchasing my first home with Matt, but I think I will always have a soft spot in my heart for this house and how I turned it from a blah, 1980's house to a comfy, updated home that really is just me.  I hope, when the time comes, that we will be able to find some renters that love this house as much as I do!

1 comment:

  1. WAHOO!!!!! Congratulations! That is a.m.a.z.i.n.g. Your house looks awesome by the way. I hadn't thought about you renting it out. That is a good idea. I hope you will be able to find GOOD renters!

    ReplyDelete