Friday, June 22, 2012

The Almost Hike

Jen didn't want me to have to spend my birthday evening alone (Matt is working today) so we decided to celebrate by going on a hike and having a picnic (this is after we already had a BBQ with friends to celebrate my birthday earlier this week!)  It was hot today and we thought it would be nicer to hike near Idaho City where there are some trees.  I used this as an excuse to take the day off work so we could head out earlier than 6.  We ended up leaving about 3:30 and drove for 2 1/2 hours up past Idaho City to hit a 6-mile-loop along the North Fork of the Boise River in the Boise National Forest.  The drive was absolutely gorgeous, and we were excited to see what the hiking book described as a mini grand canyon with clear pools of water and places with white sandy beaches.  Unfortunately, when we were just about 6 miles out from the trail head, we saw this:

What a bummer.  We had come all this way and wouldn't even be able to hike!  It didn't really surprise us though... gave us flashbacks to our hike to Loon Lake a few years ago when we backpacked in 6 miles just to be surrounded by a burned forest.  Hiking doesn't seem to like to go our way!  Anyway, we still took some "hike-like" pictures to give an idea of what the scenery along our hike would have looked like.



We stopped at a campsite along the river on the way back for our picnic.  Jen had brought an awesome dinner, complete with the "Special" plate.  We had turkey, bacon, avocado pitas with blueberries and the cutest homemade whoopie pies (with cake batter frosting!) for dessert.


To top off the evening, Jen gave me the most beautiful rag quilt.  She has one really similar that she made while she was undergoing chemo a little while back... I love her "cancer quilt" as we have come to call it, and want to use it every time we watch a movie at her house.

I am thankful for Jen and her friendship, and for helping me have a special birthday afternoon/evening!

1 comment:

  1. Kim, I had it on my calendar to wish you a happy birthday and I totally spaced it! Sorry I missed it, but happy belated birthday! Glad you had a fun adventure, even if it didn't go as planned! At least the pictures are pretty. :)

    ReplyDelete