Monday, April 2, 2012

Just a Glimpse

Matt and I are on opposite schedules.  He works nights - he leaves for work at 6:00 pm and gets home at 7:30 in the morning.  I have to leave for work just after 7:30 am and I get home around 5:45 pm from work.  Even on the days he has off (4 on, 4 off), he keeps his night schedule because it would be difficult to switch back and forth.

I knew that this is how things would go.  With shift pick every 6 months, I know that this will be the situation probably close to half our marriage!  I thought I had prepared myself.  I knew that there would be a lot of nights when it was just me and Kylee, I knew that I would go days basically without seeing Matt... I thought it wouldn't be that big of a deal since I have been on my own for years.  Well, the days with just me and Kylee are fairly simple and really great for the most part, but I didn't have any idea how hard it was going to be for me to not see Matt.  The first few weeks were especially rough, but we've gotten into a routine, and we are learning to take advantage of every minute we have together.

Well, this weekend I got a glimpse of what it would be like if Matt and I had the same schedule.  And it was wonderful.  I'm not sure how it happened - Matt must not have slept well on Friday during the day.  We went on a date Friday night - to the Creperie for dinner and watched Wrath of the Titans in 3D IMAX.  When we got home, we planned out our honeymoon (can't wait to spend a week with my hubby!), and then I fell asleep. Matt fell asleep on the bed next to me.  He didn't plan on it.  He had intended to stay up like he normally does - in fact, he was sleeping in his jeans... and still had on his belt and had his wallet, pocket knife, and flashlight in his pockets.  This was the first time since the night of our wedding that we slept in the same bed at the same time.  Seems silly, I know - why does it matter if he's next to me while I'm sleeping?  But it does matter.  And it meant a lot to me.  And then I had the best Saturday with him.  Again, silly, especially since our Saturday consisted of watching General Conference, going on a motorcycle ride, and barbecuing lunch - nothing special or extravagant, but the fact that I got to spend the entire day with him was amazing.

So now I'm looking forward to August... and more days like I had the chance to have this weekend.  I love Matt and am excited to share those "normal" days (and nights) with him.

2 comments:

  1. im so glad you got to spend some time with your husband. that must have been great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was about time! I hope the next few months go by quick. It's not fun being away from each other!

    ReplyDelete