Sunday, February 17, 2013

Will They Finish?

Okay, with less than three weeks to move in, I'm starting to get very antsy.  In my mind, there wasn't enough progress this week.  Here are the only updates I noticed this week:
They hung the cabinets in the laundry room.
They added cabinet doors in the tech room.
They made progress painting the trim on the exterior of the house.
They put in the kitchen island.
Neither Matt nor I have built a house before, so maybe this is standard, but there's still a LOT left to do.

  • Sand/stain/seal the hardwood.
  • Finish all the cabinetry.
  • Put in the counters and backsplashes throughout the house.
  • All the plumbing.
  • Add carpet and finish the built-ins around the fireplace.
  • Trim out the sound system throughout the house.
  • All the lighting and electrical.
  • All the landscaping.
  • Install the appliances.
  • Finish outdoor trim work, rock, and roofing.
  • Let alone cleanup, walk-throughs, appraisal, etc.
Maybe I have nothing to worry about - I know things can come together quickly, but when the four pictures above are literally the only changes I noticed in an entire week, I'm nervous.  Especially since they initially told us the house would be done a couple weeks early so we could epoxy the garage floor!  I don't know if that's looking too promising right now... I have asked for a high-level schedule for the next few weeks, so I guess we'll see!

On that note, I have been packing and packing and packing some more.  I've been getting up early almost every morning and packing a couple boxes before work.  I'm almost to the point where I'm not sure what else I can pack.  We've got over 80 boxes packed and stacked around the house (my house feels messy constantly!), and most of what's left seems either too big to pack or we need it in the next three weeks.  Besides that, I'm practically out of boxes, so even if I had more to do, I'd have to round up more boxes first.
Needless to say, fingers crossed for a smooth couple weeks... and hope they go by quickly!

3 comments:

  1. I hope it all comes together quickly. I'm sure it will! Also . . . as someone who has moved a million and a half times, my experience tells me that you will need as many boxes as you already have to finish packing! You always think you are almost done but the last stuff takes up the most room!!! Good luck. I wish I could be there to help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh, don't tell me that! I'm hoping, actually, that we don't have to pack up a lot of what's left... that we can just put stuff in our car and take a few trips between the houses. I guess that's one advantage of only moving a few miles away! We'll see. I better have a way of getting a lot of boxes at the last minute just in case. I went to Barnes and Noble this week and picked up some boxes - they were great boxes but they all seemed pretty small. Those are what I have left to put together... think I'll do that this morning to see what I've really got to work with!

      Delete
  2. Good luck you sound VERY prepared. I know for me the last couple weeks before we moved into the new house I was on the builders constantly. It is known the builders take longer than they say. I was NOT going to let that happen...even though they did take three weeks longer...I was okay. I just pushed to be in by the end of the semester. I really had to push and stay on top of the builders but we got it done. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete