Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Back to School Party


I can't believe that summer is almost over... school starts next week!! I decided to throw a small "back to school" party for Kylee and a couple of her friends from church who will also be in the first grade with her. We had a two last minute no-shows, so it was even smaller than planned, but the kids had a great time. They ate pizza, had cupcakes, and we had a couple organized games, in addition to "free play".

At lunch I asked each of the kids what they were most looking forward to about first grade. Here is what they had to say:
  • Caleb: More play time.
  • Kylee: Three recesses and getting my own desk.
  • Tanner: Seeing my friends.
  • Laura: Eating lunch at school in the cafeteria.
I think it's funny that Kylee is so excited about a "desk". I asked her how that was different from kindergarten... was it because a different kid sat there in the morning class? She explained to me that in kindergarten they sat at "tables" and in first grade they get to sit at "desks". I haven't seen her first grade class yet to know if she's right - hope she's not too disappointed if she has to sit at a table again!

Our first organized game was a "taste test". The kids took turns being blind folded and tasting a food that they might have in their hot or cold lunch at school this year. They did really well! The only one that held them up was the tater tot :-)


Their "prize" for participating in the taste test game was some pop rocks!

The other organized game they played was a school supply scavenger hunt. I found the clues online, which made my job even easier! I hid school supplies around the house along with the clues. At the end of the game, they got some pencils as a reward.



All in all, I think they had a good time! I know I had fun putting it all together. We will be headed to the school this afternoon to check out Kylee's class list, although it should be pretty much the same class as last year since Kylee is in the magnet track at school. It's still fun to check it out though! Kylee heads back to her mom's house in the morning... when we pick her up on Sunday she starts school the next day. Ready or not, here we come!

No comments:

Post a Comment