Sunday, November 27, 2016

Close to Home


Earlier this month, two Boise Police Officers and one K-9 Officer were shot when trying to aprehend a fugitive. One of the officers was treated at the hospital and released the next day. One of the officers is still in the hospital with serious injuries. The K-9 Officer, Jardo, underwent surgery and was expected to make a full recovery, but then ended up passing away a couple days later. Needless to say, it was a rough couple weeks there (and longer for the families directly involved)!

I was amazed at how much this shooting affected me. I had met one of the officers briefly one time, and I had never met the other officer or the K-9 (who worked on Matt's team). I was an emotional mess! I broke down in tears multiple times, and for several days after the shooting. I had a hard time even talking with people about it without crying. Someone posted this image on Boise PD spouses facebook group I am a part of, and it is so true...

It really was amazing how close to home this shooting was. I truly appreciated those who reached out to me with calls or texts or facebook messages. My friend Devyn even spent that evening of the shooting with me, so I wouldn't be "alone" with my boys (Matt was called into work right after the shooting occurred). I was constantly checking my facebook group for updates on the officers, and even attended a prayer meeting with some of the other spouses. I found comfort in their presence, and knew even more that my husband holds an honorable position serving our community.

A memorial service was held for the K-9 Jardo. I took Kylee and Tyler. I had told the kids that a bad guy had shot the dog, and Tyler was convinced that bad guy was "The Joker". The memorial service was very nice, and I was thankful to Jardo, who may have saved the lives of other officers that day.



I saw this idea and think I'm going to make it for the door leading out to our garage... I love it :-) And I pray every day that my officer will "come home safe".

No comments:

Post a Comment