Saturday, November 5, 2016

Apple Days 2016

"Apple Days" is one of our favorite weekends of the year. We love gathering at Matt's Grandma and Grandpa Cornwall's house in Inkom, Idaho to pick the apples from their orchard and make apple cider. We missed last year because it was literally right after Bradley was born, but we wouldn't have missed this year for anything! Fair warning... this post is packed full of pictures!

We love these big family gatherings - we get to see so many people and they are always so fun... But we treasure the "extra" time that we get to spend at the Cornwall's house, with just our family. We headed to Inkom a day before the official festivities began and got to spend some special individual time with Grandma and Grandpa. Matt and I helped harvest the potatoes and carrots from the garden (harvesting potatoes is hard! I kept slicing them with my shovel!), we helped get tables and the cider press set up, we went on a hike up the trail behind Grandma and Grandpa's house, and more.









The kids also got some special tractor rides with Grandpa. I think that was the highlight of Tyler's whole weekend! I love how Grandpa let him "drive".


Of course, we also loved catching up with family we haven't seen in a while, picking apples and making the most delicious cider you've ever tasted. Each batch had a little bit of a different flavor - we used different apple varieties and some batches we even mixed in fresh grapes, apples, or peaches. I think they probably serve this stuff in heaven! We were lucky enough to take several gallons home. I froze them in quart bags so we can ration them this next year. We will see how long they actually last, haha!




 






The kids loved eating as many apples as they wanted, whenever they wanted, without asking. I loved the caramel apple bar - no shock there. I think caramel apples are some of the best treats!


I was also lucky enough to bring home several boxes of apples - we canned applesauce and apple butter, and had plenty of apples to eat fresh. It was the loveliest weekend I can remember in a while! We look forward to next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment