Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Tender Mercy

I've tried not to mention it much on this blog, but over the last couple years there seems to have been a lot of negative energy surrounding our relationship with Kylee's mom. There have been quite a few disagreements over both big and little things - from an 8-month long educational custody battle or our ongoing child support case to disagreements about extra-curricular activities and everything in between. A few weeks ago I was talking to Matt about this negativity. We do everything we can to shield Kylee from it, but it was really bothering me. I felt (whether right or wrong) like Kylee's mom looked for things to get upset about or pick a fight about. I didn't understand why someone would want to have such a strained relationship... a relationship we were guaranteed to be in for another 13 years. Why wouldn't you at least try to get along and be nice?

I had been praying about this for a while, hoping things would get better, and trying to keep a positive attitude from my end. Then, a couple weeks ago, I decided to make this the focus of my fast. As I sat in church that morning, listening to the testimonies of others, Tyler pulled my phone out of the side pocket of the diaper bag. I went to put it back in and saw that I had a text. It was from Kylee's mom. It said, "Thank you for being so good to my daughter. For what it's worth I think you're an awesome stepmom." Wow. Talk about timing. I was overcome with the spirit and tears started rolling freely down my cheeks. This text was an answer to prayer and fasting. This simple text once again confirmed to my heart that we have a loving Father who is aware of us and our needs. He cared about me and knew how important it was for me that we have a better relationship with Kylee's mom. I immediately sent a prayer of thanks up to my Father... and sent a thank you email to Kylee's mom that afternoon.

It's only been a couple weeks, so I can't say for certain that things have changed for good, but I can say that things seem much better! In the last two weeks, communication between us has been more positive. Kylee's mom invited us to Kylee's friend party at her house and asked for input if we thought there were other girls Kylee should invite. We worked together to make tutus as party gifts for the girls and I helped with some of the activities at the party. We collaborated on fun snacks for Kylee to take to school on her birthday, each helping to put them together. We have smoothly coordinated changes to Kylee's typical schedule in order for her to be able to attend a couple different birthday parties. Yes, things have definitely been better.

I hope and pray that the focus can remain on Kylee and what is best for her. I don't think we need to be best friends, but I do hope that we can continue to be positive and work together for Kylee's sake. I am thankful for my Father, for his reassurance, and for that sweet tender mercy in the form of a text that I received after much prayer and fasting.

No comments:

Post a Comment