Thursday, June 19, 2014

Surgery Day

Since Tyler was born so little and premature, they wouldn't do his circumcision when he was in the hospital... but once he was out of the hospital, he was too old for the pediatrician to do his circumcision. That meant we needed to see a pediatric urologist and that it would require surgery.

The urologist told us that we needed to wait until Tyler was at least 6 months old to do the surgery because the 45-60 minute operation would require Tyler to go under general anesthesia. They told me that it isn't safe for babies under 6 months to have the anesthesia, but after 6 months, the complications or side effects would be the same as if I were to get anesthesia.

Anyway, after a couple of pre-op appointments, surgery day finally came yesterday. I had been dreading it. Even though I had complete trust in the urologist, and I knew it was a routine operation, I still didn't like knowing my poor baby would be put under and have to undergo surgery at such a young age.

We arrived at the hospital at 6:20 am and used the valet parking (they had called us the day before and told us to use this - it was super nice!) and after checking in we waited for a bit in the surgery waiting room. I was glad that Tyler was the first surgery of the day (8:30 am) because he couldn't eat for several hours before his surgery (no solids 8 hours before, no formula 6 hours before, and no breast milk 4 hours before).

After waiting a little while we were taken back to a room where I got Tyler dressed in his cool hospital gown and then we met with the anesthesiologist and the doctor. By this time, Tyler started getting quite grumpy because he was so hungry, so I was glad I was able to get him to fall asleep. Then before I realized it, a nurse came in and swept him away, and I went back to the waiting room until the surgery was over.

I was taken to Tyler's recovery room just before he woke up. Poor kid had a rough time coming out of the anesthesia. His crying was inconsolable. I tried feeding him and playing the meatball song and walking around with him. I think he cried for the better part of 30 minutes. Poor kid. I felt so helpless.

After they took the IV out, I got him dressed and we called up to the valet to have our car ready. Almost as soon as we left his dim room into the bright hallway, Tyler calmed down (thank goodness!). He didn't make another peep the rest of the way out of the hospital or the entire way home. Tyler has been a little sad, but honestly much better than I expected. He has been better than on his immunization days. We've been giving him medicine every three hours (alternating between Tylenol and Ibuprofen) so I'm sure that is helping. I'm not looking forward to diaper changes and baths the next little while but I know we'll get through it :-)

Tyler has an eye appointment next month, and I think that is the final doctor's appointment as a result of him being a preemie. So glad to have all this behind us!

1 comment:

  1. So glad it went well, but sorry he cried so much afterwards. That is tough on any mom. It was great to see him at church yesterday!

    ReplyDelete