Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Thank Goodness for Insurance!

At almost four months, I think we've gotten about all of Tyler's doctor bills... and all I can say is I am thankful for insurance!  All together, having Tyler cost over $150,000. Sure glad we have a decent max out of pocket for both me and Tyler. Here's a rough breakdown:

  • About $102,000 for Tyler's NICU stay, including facility fees and daily doctor visits.
  • About $36,000 for my hospital stay - I was there for 6 days! This amount also includes the cost of my epidural ($2472) and fees associated with the x-ray I had because of my breathing problems after Tyler was born.
  • Over $10,000 for shots for Tyler. Because Tyler was so premature and was born so close to RSV season, he qualified for Synagis shots - basically a series of antibody shots to help protect his little body from getting RSV. Each shot is over $2500 and he gets one each month for four months.
  • About $5000 for my OB care throughout my pregnancy.
  • $1375 for Tyler's home health visits, including his physical therapy.
  • Almost $150 for the breast pump rental for two months.
When all was said and done, we paid less than 4% of these costs. But even if we had to pay 100% out of pocket, it would all be worth it. I sure love my little boy!

1 comment:

  1. Geez, I'm glad you have insurance too! Holy cow! Wow. I know it might seem like I'm against modern medicine (I'm not), but I'm really in awe of all that doctors/science is able to do and so grateful for it as well! But boy is it spendy!

    ReplyDelete