Thursday, March 13, 2014

Adventures in Cloth Diapering - Day 1

Several years ago a coworker told me he and his wife cloth diapered their baby and I remember having two thoughts. My first thought was, "I didn't think people did that anymore." And my second thought was, "Disgusting." I never in a million years thought I would ever try cloth diapering.

Since that conversation, I've heard of more and more people using cloth diapers. I have several cousins and friends that have gone this route and love it. When I found out I was pregnant, I started looking into cloth diapering more, knowing I was hoping to stay home with my baby and that it would be a difficult transition going from a two-income family to just one income. I was looking for ways I could contribute financially to the family without going into work. I went back and forth and back and forth and back and forth again on the idea of using cloth diapers. I had multiple conversations with my friend Lindsey about her experience cloth diapering her daughter Rosie.  I found out what kind of diapers she uses, how the inserts work, about cloth wipes and wet bags, laundering the diapers, etc. It seemed a bit overwhelming, and still kind of gross, but when quitting my job became a reality (more on this in another post) I decided to bite the bullet.

I purchased:

  • 30 BumGenius 4.0 cloth diapers in assorted colors (the picture below shows a few of the colors). I bought them all from CottonBabies - about half of which I purchased at a discount through a "seconds sale" (brand new diapers with some sort of defect like a missed stitch or slight discoloration - none of which I could actually see!) These are the diapers Lindsey recommended because she said they are "most like" disposables.
All of my supplies have been sitting in a basket in Tyler's room for a couple months now. Untouched. Up until recently, the diapers just seemed so big for Tyler. At least that was my excuse. I think I was also still trying to talk myself into this. Finally, this week, I decided to pre-wash all of my seconds sale diapers, the microfiber inserts, and the flannel wipes and give cloth diapering a shot. (All of the "new" diapers are still in their packaging. My thinking was that if I really hate this, I might be able to return the diapers. Or at least get close to the original price selling them on craigslist.)

Tyler only poops about once or maybe twice a week. Since he went yesterday, I decided I would try out the diapers today :-) I figured I would be safe with testing the diapers out for a few days before I had to deal with the yuckier stuff. And... so far so good! Besides the diaper making Tyler's bum look pretty large under his clothes, I haven't had any leaks or other problems, and changing the diapers has been a breeze and not gross at all. I do admit I did google "how often should I change a baby's cloth diaper" - I am missing that little line on the front of the diaper that tells me if he is wet! For now, I am changing his diaper as I normally would - with each feeding. I'm sure I'll get the hang of this more as I go on. 

I don't plan on using cloth diapers 100% of the time. I am thinking I'll use disposable diapers at night, when we go out of town, if I have someone babysit Tyler, etc. But I would consider Day 1 a success, and think we'll try again tomorrow.

5 comments:

  1. Yay!!! He looks adorable in them!! I do the same...pampers at night and when we go places. But during the day sure it saves money!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phew! i'm glad you like them. I was afraid you'd end up hating it and then I'd be the one to blame :S And liquid poop is just as easy as pee. It's only gross once you begin to introduce solids - it's not quite liquid and not quite solid - yuck! And then it's solid and it's easy again :) Look how happy he is with that cute diaper on! He's thinking, "Ooh! So soft!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha Lindsey, I couldn't blame you if I hated this! Thanks again for all your advice.

      Delete
  3. We do cloth as well, and I had no idea that so many people did. I just started to save money, and I'm glad I did. Wouldn't trade it for the world. I feel like I need to send positive thoughts to the people who do, because it's not easy and definitely not for everyone. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember reading how you guys use cloth diapers (you and Katie are the "cousins" part of this post!). So far it hasn't been bad. Sure, the poopy diapers are gross, but they are gross with disposables. I plan on posting an update here shortly!

      Delete