Monday, March 17, 2014

Dear Tyler - [Four Months!]

Dear Tyler,

You hit four months yesterday! Right now I am holding you as you sleep. I will spoil you today with lots of cuddles because you had four immunizations this morning (one oral, three shots). These immunizations make you sad and needy. We might not get much else done today, but that's okay.

The doctor says you are doing really well (which I already knew!). You weighed in at 11.0 pounds and measured 24" long. You still aren't on the charts for weight (although you're getting closer!), but you are in the 8th percentile in height! That doesn't surprise me. When I look at you laying down all stretched out, you just look so big to me! I might have even used the word gigantic...

Because you're still so little, we need to keep adding Neosure to your milk (extra calories) and giving you daily vitamins. The vitamins turn your milk green - good thing you don't notice! You are now eating between three and four ounces of milk at a time, which means pretty soon we'll have to move to bigger bottles since we're still using the 4 ounce bottles we got in the hospital. I did ask the doctor today about rice cereal. He said that they typically have babies start on rice cereal between four and six months, but he doesn't want you to start on it yet because the Neosure has more calories than rice cereal and you need to keep growing.

I do think you would grow better if you stopped throwing up though (which you do several times a week). The doctor isn't concerned with you throwing up since you're gaining weight so well. He says he thinks it happens when you get an air bubble in your tummy (even though I burp you every ounce or two). But I would appreciate it if you kept all that yummy food in your tummy instead of getting it all over me, the couch, your clothes, your hair, your face, etc.

The doctor was impressed with how well you hold your head up. Daddy and I have commented on that for months! You love just looking around and checking everything out. The doctor mentioned how in some areas you are in line with two-month-olds (your gestational age) and in some areas you are in line with four-month-olds (your actual age) but by one year there should be no difference.

I think my favorite "milestone" from this last month is your sweet talking and your laugh. I will try to get some video up soon. You are generally a really happy baby, giving us lots of smiles. Recently you've started smiling while you are eating. I love that you are happy when you eat, but when you smile, the milk dribbles out of your mouth and down your cheek!

I know I've mentioned this before, but you love standing up! Look at your smile!

One other change this last month is how you sleep. Instead of sleeping on my chest, you now like to sleep cuddled up next to me on your side or back, using my arm as a pillow. And to tell you the truth, I enjoy the cuddles. But get ready... this is the week. I am going to try putting you in your crib at night starting on Wednesday, so you'd better enjoy these next two nights! I guess I should say the same thing for me :-)

Love,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment