Thursday, January 16, 2014

Two Months!


Tyler is two months old today! Time is flying, and I just can't get enough of this sweet boy.  Weighing in at 7 pounds 3 ounces, Tyler is finally the size many babies are when they are first born! I think he has officially outgrown his preemie clothes, and he is now wearing newborn sized diapers.

We hit some milestones this last week... First, Tyler now has enough chub on his hands and feet that he can wear socks and mittens! I was pretty excited. When I had tried them back in December, they would just fall right off, so I see this as a major accomplishment.  Now I don't have to worry so much about his feet getting cold or him scratching his face (I try to keep his fingernails short, but I hate clipping/filing them and they grow so darn fast!).

Another "milestone" is that Tyler can now consistently do 2-3 feeds a day of just breastfeeding. The physical therapist came back this week and was thrilled with his progress (as am I). His right cheek has loosened up quite a bit. We still need  to work on his left cheek and tongue more, but while the physical therapist was here Tyler stuck his tongue out past his lip twice! It's so nice to see that our exercises are working.

I've also noticed that Tyler is starting to be awake more. He still sleeps most of the day, but he is getting a little more predictable. He usually has a pretty good "awake period" first thing in the morning (around 8am) where he will be awake for 2-3 hours. His day time "awakeness" is still hit or miss, but he also seems to like to be awake for a while around 9pm.

As for sleeping at night, I've given up on trying to have him sleep in his cradle. He is just so noisy and doesn't sleep well... therefore I don't sleep well.  I now sleep in a reclined position with him on my chest. I know, I know, it's probably a bad habit to start, but it has just made my sleep so much better, allowing me to function & be productive during the day. Plus, Tyler will typically give me at least one stretch of 4 hours in between feeds this way. I did talk to Matt today, though, about trying to have him sleep in his crib in his room. I think we are going to try it this next week on Matt's days off.

Kylee still loves to dote on her brother. She has started to say "Hi handsome" when she sees him (something she hears me say to him!). She has told me several times that he is so cute that she is going to marry him when she grows up. I try to tell her that she can't marry her brother, but she just ignores me! She is always wanting to hold him or touch him or kiss him, and talks about what a good big sister she is. I love that she loves her brother, even though he isn't old enough to be fun to play with yet.

2 comments: